With the 20th pick, San Antonio tabs…James Anderson

by

For the third year in a row the San Antonio Spurs bucked their own historical trend and combed college basketball for immediate help, forgoing their usual European draft and stash routine to nab Oklahoma State’s James Anderson.

Unlike George Hill, Anderson is a player everyone actually heard of before the Chicago pre-draft camp. From ESPN NBA draft guru Chad Ford:

The Spurs have to feel really lucky here. Anderson is a very solid player and a dynamic scorer who can shoot and get to the line. He reminds me of James Harden, who went No. 3 in the draft last year. The Spurs always seem to find value in the draft and here’s a good example. Anderson won’t be a superstar, but he can come in and play right away.

James Anderson should come in and fill in one of the Spurs biggest needs right away (shooting) while he adapts to the San Antonio Spurs defensive schemes. In a worst case scenario, he should be able to immediately replace last season’s Roger Mason Jr. and Keith Bogans production at a fraction of the price.

Another useful wrinkle, according to Draftexpress.com, Anderson also provides a knowledgeable and capable pick and roll wing, an important skill given the Spurs pick and roll dominant offensive sets.

James Andersonwas nothing short of spectacular last season, and it shows here. His 1.07 overall PPP ranks second amongst all players, as do his 20 possessions used per-game. He was above the PPP every in every situation except for guarded catch and shoot situations, and has more experience running the pick and roll (2.9 Pos/G) than any other player on our rankings. High usage/high-efficiency players are extremely difficult to come by, and NBA teams may want to ponder if they’re missing the boat on Anderson due to the fact that he has not been spectacular in workouts. The same thing happened last year withMarcus Thornton.

Between James Anderson, Alonzo Gee, Malik Hairston and Garrett Temple, the San Antonio Spurs would seemingly have at least one rotation quality wing player and a healthy stockpile of talent for Austin.

• zainn

jim, I guess I can see ur point of view.i just think the pg of a team is basically like the quarterback in the nfl. Everything goes through him, and tony parker has proven to be one of the best ever since2003, but I am totally open to trading rj but that’s it. And adding dalember w/o trading mcdyess would just overload our forward big positions. Maybe we could get adecent guard from sactown in that town when including rj and mcdyess for dalembert and guard, and it’d be a go for me. Sorry for all the criticism before jim henderson, but I’m totally against trading tony unless we get bigger superstars in return like paul, d williams etc.

• lvmainman

@ Tyler,

Stephen Jackson was 1 of 4 NBA players in 08-09 that averaged 20 pts, 5 rebs, and 6 assists. The other 3?….. Try Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Paul.

Jackson was paid $7 mil this past season. Half of any decent player in the NBA.

Jefferson is a forward and Jackson is a guard.

Spurs front office needs to be aggressive adding quality players when they are available at a discount, regardless as to when they become available.

• Tim in Surrey

I’ll provide a scouting report on Bobby Jones, having seen a lot of him in-person when I was at UW. But first… Didn’t he play for the Spurs very briefly?

He’s very much a Spurs-type of person. He has a lot of character, is smart, and works very hard (one of the places I used to see him, along with Brandon Roy, was in the library in the middle of the night). UW’s drop-off wasn’t just because of losing Roy–Jones was the key to the pressure defense that got them to consecutive Sweet 16s. So if nothing else, he’s a good wing defender who will fit in well with the team. He had virtually no perimeter game, though, probably because he played Center in high school. He’s athletic, but has never seemed to have the feel for how to play when facing the basket. He had no real handle, no vision, and wasn’t an effective passer. His shot was never very consistent, either, especially when contested. It might be that working with Chip could turn him into a more effective shooter. But realistically he’s not likely to be much more than a defensive specialist/offensive liability. I like Bobby an awful lot, so I’d love to see him become an solid rotation player for the Spurs. Unfortunately, though, I just don’t see it happening.

• Charles

i was thinking in this trades of portland
    postdraft
    portland trade andre miller to indiana for paul george, brandon rush and troy murphy.
    larry bird said that they desesperate need a veteran pg.
    and then trade babbitt or paul george and eliott williams for tony parker
    we lose in the are of pg but i think williams is very similar to hill and the spurs have the ability to work on him like they do in hill playing pg and sg and we get stronger in the sf area with george or babbitt.
    portland with tony have a upgrade, they still have a good sf of the draft with babbit or george , and have rush and troy murphy
    what you all think about this ?

• Jesse

Hi, I’m new here. I love what the Spurs are about, and I really feel Pop has the best job in the NBA. I also get a lot of flack from Laker fans because I’m from LA, but I’m sticking with the silver and grey.

Can the Spurs acquire Michael Redd in a restructured deal? Spurs pay part of his salary to relieve the Bucks (I mean like a couple mil at most with a future first-round draft pick). Redd is approaching the twilight of his career with question marks about his health and the imminent lockout. Hopefully we can score him the way the Spurs did with Finley. I don’t think the Bucks want to hold onto him. With this stealthy move, the Spurs go back to being instant contenders with Splitter in the mix.

zainn
    June 27th, 2010 at 10:52 pm

“Sorry for all the criticism before jim henderson, but I’m totally against trading tony unless we get bigger superstars in return like paul, d williams etc.”

Well, that means you’re COMPLETELY closed to trading TP, because you’re never going to get either of the top two & YOUNG point guards in the league for Parker. And by the way, I wouldn’t classify Parker as a “superstar”. Those guys you listed (Paul, Williams) are “franchise” players. Parker is not.

Tim in Surrey
    June 28th, 2010 at 3:54 am

“I like Bobby an awful lot, so I’d love to see him become an solid rotation player for the Spurs. Unfortunately, though, I just don’t see it happening.”

I appreciate your personal perspective regarding Bobby Jones from 4 years ago in college. That said, I’d be surprised if his overall game has not matured some in the areas that you noted were weak: hence his 39% 3-point shooting in the Italian League this past season, plus 1.8 steals per game in 25 mpg. (he also shot 39% from three in 24 games with the Nuggets two years ago). Also, if the Spurs can’t afford to get a more established all-around perimeter defender, which includes a consistent 3-point game (e.g. Battier), Jone’s defense alone for 10-15 mpg. might be worth a shot. WE SIMPLY MUST IMPROVE THE INTENSITY OF OR PERIMETER DEFENSE. And he could be a cheap addition that has the potential to make a difference. It seems like it’d be worth a look.

• Jim Henderson

Free agency starts Thursday. I think we need to be looking at trades right now, but if we don’t have anything in the works at all by Thursday (and even if we do), we need to be intently looking at the free agency market as of 7/1/10. The following list is the best I was able to come up with, taking into account our limited financial resources. For example, in my view, we simple can’t afford guys like Mike Miller, Kyle Korver, etc.

That said, I’m by no means an expert on what our cap/exceptions situation will specifically allow us to do. So, lets assume that we are NOT going to resign Mason, Bogans, Bonner, & Mahinmi, and we are giving 4.5 mil. of the MLE to sign Splitter. How much money would we have to acquire any other free agents?

Okay, here’s the list. Who could we use, who might we want, and who could we afford?

Player….Team….Status…….Age….Position …2010/Sal

• Cuentaluis
  • ldhl89

Sign a Defender like Tony Allen or Matt Barnes

• ldhl89
  • ldhl89
  • Jim Henderson

Video clip, Joel Anthony mix, “the greatest player we’ve ever seen”! Obviously they’re just playing around with the title in quotes, but this guy can protect the rim, AND he hustles & has a good attitude:

• Jim Henderson

Here’s another guy we could use 10-15 mpg.

• Jim Henderson

Another “energy” guy worth a look for 10-15 mpg. of hustle in the paint & defense the rim.

• Hobson13

Guys, what if were to work out a sign and trade deal with Parker going to the Knicks. The Knicks would love to have him and Parker would VERY likely sign an extension with them. In return, perhaps we could get back Anthony Morrow and Ronnie Brewer. Anthony Morrow could definitely shore up much of our shooting woes and Brewer, while not a great shooter, is a good athlete and a VERY good defender. Brewer, with a bit of time can come close to being a Bowen-like defender. While he is listed as a SG,he has the size to play the SF position for a long time in the Spurs system. Both players are under 26 yrs old and can be building blocks for the future.

I will admit there are risks to this trade. Both are Restricted FA. However, if we offered them both say $5 million/year contracts, that would be sizeable raises over what they are making. While Memphis has some cap room, they will be using it in persuit of keeping Rudy Gay. GS, is over the cap and IMO, would have a difficult time matching that salary.

While this trade doesn’t help our situation with a big man, it does address 3pt shooting, a need for youth and a need for RJ’s replacement, and a very good perimeter defender. It’s not the superstar trade I am looking for, but we may need to look for sign and trade opportunities with Parker and NY. I am quite sure Parker would sign an extension and NY, by fascilitating a sign and trade, would essentially get Parker for free.

Hobson13
    June 28th, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Hey, Hobson, any thoughts on these two trade proposals I made from earlier on this thread?

Jim Henderson
    June 27th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

“TP, RJ, McDyess, & Hairston

to Charlotte for

Wallace, Augustin, Diaw, & Diop”

Jim Henderson
    June 27th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

“RJ & Hairston to

Sacramento for

Dalembert & Donte Greene”

(See full comments at the actual post for these two trades.)

I also posted another trade with Indiana, but it says the following: “your comment is awaiting moderation”, and so it hasn’t showed up on this thread. In brief, here is what is was:

TP, RJ, McDyess, & Hairston

to Indiana for

Granger, Murphy, Ford, & Rush

A few points to take into consideration:

— Pacers get a HUGE salary dump in 2011; their player contracts are perfectly aligned for a major salary purge.
    — Their talented draft pick George is what they believe is a young, future Granger, with a much cheaper price tag for awhile. Even though George is a bit raw, he has the talent & confidence to be a quick study. Four years under Granger does not make sense to me, especially considering the need to upgrade the team at the point.
    — Pacers would position themselves with a good shot at resigning Parker (they desperately want to get their hands on a top PG, long-term), AND signing another two top free agents, to go along with Hibbert, George, Hansborough, & Dahntay Jones (in 2011 free agency, they’d have a good shot at signing Parker + 2 or 3 of the following players: Z. Randolph, J.R. Smith, C. Butler, T. Prince, A. Afflao, K. Azubuike, D. West, J. Green, C. Brewer).
    — Spurs would have to absorb the last 4 years of Granger’s contract, but Murphy, Rush, & Ford’s are expiring deals.

• Hobson13

“TP, RJ, McDyess, & Hairston

to Charlotte for

Wallace, Augustin, Diaw, & Diop”

Jim, I think this trade would definitely get us younger. Augustin is a downgrade from Parker, but Wallace is an upgrade from RJ. Diaw and Diop are both good bigs who are veterans and could immediately come in and play on our front line. I actually don’t mind this trade too much. Charlotte can unload some salary with RJ and get a good PG in Parker. ON top of this, there is no chance of seeing them in the playoffs.

“RJ & Hairston to
    Sacramento for
    Dalembert & Donte Greene”

This, on the surface this seems like a safe trade. However, this trade might leave us dangerously thin at the SF position. With that said, we would get back a big in Dalembert. He is an expiring contract and we can sign him next summer for far less than the $12mil he currently makes. Greene is an interesting player. The guy is a 6’11” SF and if he could learn to shoot (I bet Chip Engelland could help him big time) then he might be a serious player on the wing. I would do this trade only if the FO was convinced they could make a baller out of Greene. If they were, then we would get younger and bigger.

“TP, RJ, McDyess, & Hairston
    to Indiana for
    Granger, Murphy, Ford, & Rush”

Absolutely. Granger is a young star and would only get better around Duncan and Manu. We would have this guy locked down for 4 years (at a reasonable contract no less) so there’s no way he’d bolt. Murphy will be a FA next summer and will probably get a contract for less than what he’s making. Ford is a decent PG and can get us through next season and Rush is a decent SF. We could let Ford go after next season, but we could have a formidable front line with Splitter, Duncan, Blair, and Murphy and I think they could all work together. This trade would get us younger, more scoring punch, and a key big man in Murphy. I would do this trade in a second and would pray that Indy would too.

I said this on draft night and was wrong, but I’ll say it again. I really do think we will make at least one big move this summer and that has to come sooner rather than later. There have to be numerous teams wanting TP so there’s no question we will be active on Thursday (start of Free Agency) the question is whether or not we bite on any suggested trade.

• zainn
  • Jim Henderson

That’s a completely worthless take by Jeff Garcia of Project Spurs. Parker supposedly says he’d be very open to leaving the Spurs. Pop supposedly tells Parker that, “he’s not going anywhere”, in relation to the Portland rumors. And Jeff Garcia concludes that we shouldn’t trade Parker without even considering what we could get back that would in fact HELP THIS TEAM COMPETE!

How many times do I have to drill it into peoples heads: WE AIN’T GOING NOWHERE with our SF and shooting situation. WE AIN’T GOING NOWHERE without more size, youth, and “rim protection” in the paint. The fact is, we simply cannot adequately fill these gaps without trading a valuable piece, barring a shrewd & LUCKY deal for unloading RJ & his fat expiring contract. DROP the “big-three” idol-worship, and lets move on. If we do that, we at least have a chance at a title in the next three years. If not: low seeds, and early exits.

Hobson13
    June 29th, 2010 at 6:41 am

Thanks for the feedback on the trade proposals. I was surprised though with your “luke-warm” take on the Charlotte proposal.

“I actually don’t mind this trade too much.”

You do realize how good Wallace is, right?

18.2 ppg., 10.0 rpg., 1.5 spg., 1.0 bpg., .586 TS%, 3rd in the league in WP48, improved his 3-point shot to 37.1% last season, and was named FIRST TEAM all-defense.

In fact, I think I’d rather have Wallace than Granger because he’s a better defender. And we need to upgrade our defense, first & foremost, in my view.

Actually, I’m worried that Charlotte would balk at letting Wallace go. I tried to entice them by including the over-priced Diaw & Diop, and helping them clear major cap space for 2011. But I’m just hoping it’s enough.

Also, what do you think of the free agent list that I posted. Interested in any of them, other than Brewer & Morrow? If we end up not making a deal for a big, what do you think of the following energy/shot-blocking LOW-COST options as free agents to give us 10-15 minutes a game?:

Anthony, Amundson, Mbenga

I provided short video clips of them on this thread.

• Hobson13

Jim Henderson
    June 29th, 2010 at 10:35 am
    “That’s a completely worthless take by Jeff Garcia of Project Spurs. Parker supposedly says he’d be very open to leaving the Spurs.”

I’m inclined to agree. We have a direct quote from Parker saying he may leave (I’m putting it mildly, what he said was actually disturbing) and then we have hearsay as to what Pop may (or may not) have said. It seems more and more that Parker is actually very willing to leave. If this is true, we have to read the writing on the wall and Parker’s writing may very well say something like this: “Sure I’d love to stay in SA if they make me a HUGE offer, but otherwise I’d like to explore my options in a larger market.” I know I’m putting words in his mouth (to an extent), but it may not be that far off from the truth.

Final word on Parker: If we did some sort of sign and trade involving Parker to NY, as long as the Knicks gave him a nice extension (which they would), I think he and the Knicks would do it in a millisecond. Something to consider…

“You do realize how good Wallace is, right?”

Yes, Wallace is an animal and would make a huge impact on both ends of the floor. IMO he is a vastly underrated player since he plays for Charlotte. I did a bit more research on Augustin and think he could be a very nice young piece. I don’t think he’ll be a star, but he could be very solid and secure our backcourt for the future. Diaw and Diop are ok, but not that great. Jim, I don’t hate the trade, but I don’t love it because Parker is a better player than anything the boobcats would give us back. Wallace is good, but he is also a bit injury prone and is not as young as he might appear (he’s been in the league 9 years already).

As bad as RJ was for the Spurs last year, he really isn’t total garbage. He can still play and score as long as he plays in an uptempo system (GS would be PERFECT) where he can get a number of shots. He can’t produce on 8-10 shots/game and thats what he got for long stretches of the season. In retrospect, that’s why he was such a bad fit for the Spurs. We play relatively slow and have numerous offensive options. I say all that to make this point: While RJ is not a $15 mil/year player (obviously), he is still a very good player and can thrive in certain systems. RJ is not a washed up, used up, injury prone Tracy McGrady who only had value due to his expiring contract. Bottom line: I think we can get more for these two guys besides what the Charlotte trade nets.

• Hobson13

Jim, here are the guys on that list I liked. I’m not sure we could afford them outside a sign and trade situation, but here’s the list.

J. Childress – he’s a good player who could help us out on the wings
    T. Allen – Great perimeter defender
    W. Bynum – Nate Robinson Jr. except cheaper
    J Anthony – Best rim defender on this list. Nice athlete/shot blocker.
    JJ Redick – good shooter/perimeter defender, high BB IQ
    L Amundson – super pain in the ass to play. Physical defender and overall defensive pesk.

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

Good to see some trade options involving TP. I’ve been saying for a while that Tony is going to demand a big ole’ contract. What desperate team will offer a 5 year contract to Tony at age 29? There are several options. Could be a dreadful big market team or maybe a mid market who thinks he’ll get them over the hump. After this big FA period is over the NBA landscape will be much clearer.

If NY or CHI comes out of this FA period looking bad, like only getting Johnson, they might be desperate as hell to do something. There could be bigger offers for TP and all teams really gunning for the big FA’s are big market teams where Mr. Longoria would sign his extension.

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

Would NY take TP and RJ for Gallinari and future draft picks? Then we could make serious noise in the FA market with new found cap space.

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

If NY would give up next years #1 and Gallinari for TP and RJ, I would jump at it.

First, we would seriously address two problems: Shooting and Age. Our 3 pt shooting would go from a major problem, to becoming an asset. Adding Danielo and a wing such as Miller? and suddenly we can chuck it again.

If NY only gets Amare OR Johnson, they might go for this. RJ gets the up tempo style he craves. TP gets his fat contract in the biggest of markets.

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

Obviously CHI wouldn’t make an offer for TP but they would be desperate to do something big, which could lead to Parker being moved in a 3 way trade, etc…

• Hobson13

Lenneezz,

NY wouldn’t want to blow their cap room on RJ. Besides, Tony and RJ make a combined $27 mil. Gallinari makes only $3 mil. The salaries have to come close to matching up. I think we can either trade RJ in a desperation trade for a decent player or in a salary cap dump for several spare parts.

• Sam

why are so many people talking about making such huge trades for parker? we saw what a couple of pieces did to our chemistry last year and now we want to trade parker and a few other people for like half of another team. we are not getting gerald wallace or danny granger. we are all just fantasizing.

IMO the spurs shouldn’t REBUILD the team they should add pieces that could really help us. the james anderson pick was great. our shooting was really bad last year and we needed a good shooter. I think the spurs should let go of roger mason jr., and keith bogans and play Alonzo Gee and Malik Hairston (if he can get his shooting percentage higher) more. Gee shined in the minutes he played last year for Washington.

Also its most likely Tiago Splitter is coming to SA. he can help us big time with the youth we need to inject to our big men. I think that the signing of Dorell Wright and and a really good defender could help us. To me RJ did not do as bad as people are saying. of course he didnt live up to his expectations but he wasnt a shitty benchwarmer either. RJ knows the system and could have a big improvement from last year.

If we do this improvements or something like it imo we will contend for a championship

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

I think D’antoni would want RJ if the premium guys passed. But, you’re right about the salaries. It would take alot of wrangling and only a fool would take Curry.

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

Doesn’t change my premise though. A team targeting FA’s could get screwed and desparate.

What if Miami gets 3 guys? There really are only 6 premium FA’s (obviously some are more premium than others)- LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Johnson, Boozer and Dirk. MIA gets Bosh and Wade, Dirk stays in DAL or goes to PHX, CHI or NJ gets Boozer, LBJ stays in CLE. There are plenty of scenarios where some team could be very desparate.

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

Ok, what about Parker and Dice for Gali, 2011 #1 and Duhon?

• http://www.48minutesofhell.com Lenneezz

Ya know, getting the salaries to match up isn’t that hard. Knicks sign Miller/Brewer for purpose of a trade. Or maybe even Chandler. If the teams wanted to get the trade to work, they could get it done

Hobson13
    June 29th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

“While RJ is not a $15 mil/year player (obviously), he is still a very good player and can thrive in certain systems. RJ is not a washed up, used up, injury prone Tracy McGrady who only had value due to his expiring contract. Bottom line: I think we can get more for these two guys besides what the Charlotte trade nets.”

I agree that RJ is not a lousy player, etc. I was less upset with RJ’s offense than I was with his defense & rebounding, particularly for about the first 2/3’s of the season. If he’s on the roster this year, I do think he’ll play better. But the key for me about the Charlotte trade is: Do these pick-ups make us a better team? And I say they do, because we would become better defensively, and about the same offensively. Wallace is FIRST TEAM all-defense. Diop is a BIG, pretty solid defender in the low post. Diaw is also a VERY versatile player: is crafty enough to play the 3, 4, or 5 spot; can hit the three, can score inside, has a good handle, is an excellent passer, and is a solid defender in the low post & out on the perimeter. And here’s an excerpt from a scouting report on Augustin by ESPN’s John Hollinger:

“Augustin is a tiny guard who excels in two areas. First, he’s an outstanding spot-up 3-point shooter on the weak side, so he can occupy defenders when he’s playing off the ball. Second, he’s a slick penetrator on the pick-and-roll who uses his quickness to get to the basket.”

Now granted, Augustin is no Tony Parker: he’s nowhere near the finisher that Parker is at the rim, for example. And at this point, he’s probably even a bit weaker than Parker is defensively. That said, in the rotation with Hill, Manu, & Anderson, he could fit, and give us another weapon from behind the arc, helping to spread the floor for Manu’s wild drives into the paint!

Bottom line: with the Charlotte trade we’re getting size and defense in the post (Diop – 28 years old), one of the most versatile players in the league (Diaw – 28 years old), a speedy, young point to compliment Hill, and give us another solid 3-point threat (Augustin – 22 years old), and a guy that can do it all – defense, rebounding, scoring (Wallace – 27 years old). We’re giving up an excellent point guard, but one that can’t hit the three, and is somewhat of a liability defensively (Parker – 28 years old). A guy who never fit our system too well, coming off his worst year in the league at age 30 (Jefferson). A young guy after 2 years in the NBA that’s never made the rotation, and has not established a 3-point presence (Hairston – 23 years old). A veteran PF that has clear seen his best days, now at age 36 (McDyess).

In my view, the players we’d be acquiring in the deal would fill our needs better OVERALL than the players do that we’re giving up.

This would be our front line:

Duncan, Blair, Splitter, Diop, & the FA, Joel Anthony

Duncan – 6’11” – 25 mpg.
    Blair – 6’6″, 275 lbs. – 25 mpg.
    Splitter – 7’0″ – 22 mpg.
    Anthony – 6’9″15 mpg.
    Diop – 7’0″, 300 lbs. – 9 mpg.

Now that’s a fundamentally sound front line that can score, and be physical in the post, rebound, & protect the rim. That is a front line that is deep & can stay fresh. If that line can work as a committee, with great teamwork and accountability, they can compete against any front court in the league.

This would be our guards & SF’s:

Hill – 6’2″ – 3o mpg. (.399 from three)
    Augustin – 5’11” – 18 mpg. (.420 from three)
    Ginobli – 6’6″ – 27 mpg. (.377 from three)
    Anderson – 6’6″ – 14 mpg. (.376 at OSU)
    Wallace – 6’8″ – 35 mpg. (.371 from three)
    Diaw – 6’9″ – 20 mpg. (.332 from three*)

(* 2 of Diaw’s last 4 years – over 41% in three)

We’re still small at the point, but everywhere else we have good size. Great combination of scoring, in the half court & in transition, three point shooting, passing, dribble penetration, defense, and rebounding (particularly Wallace). That’s a tough set of guards & wings. Of course, all the minute distribution is fluid, and is just a very crude estimate. For example some games, Diop might not play much, if at all against smaller, quicker opponents. Diaw’s, Anderson’s, & Augustin’s minutes might also fluctuate more than the others based on match-ups, and other factors.

Overall, those top eleven players, front and back courts, would be a tough team to handle, as long as the chemistry all works out. They all seem like good character guys.

“J Anthony – Best rim defender on this list. Nice athlete/shot blocker.”

If the FO is not actively looking at TP and/or RJ trade scenarios (or even if they are), do we make an offer to Anthony on or soon after July 1? We need somebody like him, and there’s not many like him that we could get for any cheaper. Why not make him an offer to have a role with a franchise that has won four titles. Make him a solid offer, but tell him that it has an expiration date (like a week). Take it or leave it. Don’t give him the opportunity to test the market too long. He’s 27 years old, never made more than the 825k he made with the Heat last year, and has a limited game. How about we offer to double his salary to 1.65 mil. (about 5 mil. over 3 years), and ask him to come play in the same front court as Tim Duncan. We’d like you to help us chase a title. See what he says. I think it’s worth a shot.

If we still want an EXTRA (in other words, signing just him would not be enough) 3-point shooter, about the cheapest I can come up with is Steve Novak of the Clippers. 27 years old, never made more than a million/per, and the reason is because he has a very limited game. Weak defender, can’t rebound, weak off the dribble. That said, he can shoot, with range at the SF spot, and his height gives him an edge (6’10”). Also, in some ways he’s a good fit for our offensive system because he’s a great “spot-up” shooter, and while not a great passer, he’s smart – does not turn the ball over – and is a good character guy. His only play-off experience with Houston in 2007-2008, he hit 2 out of his 3 three point attempts. If we’re stuck with a cheap option to fill out the roster with a shooter, he might be worth a look. He could end up earning 5 – 10 minutes per game, in case of injury to one of other top eleven

• Ian

Charlotte don’t need to clear cap spaces, at least not by trading Gerald Wallace. He’s probably better than the most of FAs in 2011 so it doesn’t make any sense to dump his salary. Charlotte do need a PG if they don’t intend to re-sign Felton, but TP is not a good option for that. He’ll likely leave when his contract expires (hard to imagine TP staying with a borderline playoff contender like the Bobcats), and the Bobcats will be left with no PG.

I like Diaw, but Diop is useless and way overpaid. There are good reasons why Larry Brown DNPed him every night over Nazr, and I can only assume Pop will do the same.

• Ian

What I meant to say was that it doesn’t make any sense to dump GW’s salary just to sign a FA who’s not really better than him.

• ChitownSursFan

30 June 2010

@ Jim Henderson…

Hey Jim, First of all, I want to thank you! I’m kinda a long time reader of this site at least from last season, & I really enjoy & appreciate your blogs; your imputs & ideas! Any who, I was studying your list of your F/A’s. I like Louis Amundson, P F/C. Watching him in the playoffs really shows his blue collar mentality. I can see him, along with what he would bring, his tough physical defense to this team. He seems a little small, but effective. Also, with his existing salary, sounds like a big bang for our buck. I also like J J Redick (SG). He’s young, & posesses the same work ethic as Amundson. He’s smart, can knock down the 3’s & plays decent “D.” Now, I can see him possibly demanding a bit more cash. I also see that he was already making around 2.8 mil. Other than that, he would fit well into the Spurs’ system. As much as I enjoyed watching Tony Allen for the C’s in the playoffs; his defense & his ability to score was pretty good! Like Redick, I can see him want to demand a bit as well. Marquis Daniels, Allen’s teammate, may be of an intrest as well. It sounds as if he has some defensive skills as well. I also like Ronnie Brewer of the Grizz (SG/SF). He’s young & has some talent. Now, as for your tade to the Bobcats thingy. I like it. I’d prefer to keep Parker, perhaps. Now, Parker is good & all, don’t get me wrong, Parker fans, but the guy is pretty much one dimentional to me. You know; drive to the paint & score; depends on his speed; teardrops. He’s starting to get older now, & he needs to extend his game to making more assists; getting his teammates more involved, & he needs to extend his shooting range to where he can hit the long ball more. If TP continues on the current path for the next 2 or 3 seasons, his career may be cut short. To bring in Nando de Colo at least by next year may be the project that the F/O needs to be thinking about. Any who Jim, back to your trade possibility with Charlotte. I like most of the players you say that would come over in the trade. I’ve always envisioned Gerald Wallace in a Spurs’ uni. Niiice!! Diaw would be a real nice addition as well. Now Diop…. well…. he’s alright, and all with his size, which is a start, but Amundson…. now, he’s tha man! Jim, tomorrw will be an exiting & intresting day in the NBA world. I’m sure that the Sprus F/O is quietly looking at things & weighing the cost. I’m not a big RJ fan right now, but yes, perhaps… maybe, he will be much improved come this season, if they don’t do a trade on him. From watching this team under the POP era, for players to adjust to his system seems difficult for them & very teadious as well. I do agree that this system does not fit his style of play. He’s still a good player who could produce, if under a run & gun team, at least 20 a night. But the bottom line is it’s all going to come down to the F/O. I’m sure we all know that. This whole F/A thing has become a soap opera! Any who Jim, it’s gonna be all in the F/O’s court. They’re the ones who make those “big bucks” to decide what’s best for the organization; what’s best for the fans, yadayadayada! But any who, Jim & Spurs fans, I’m sure once the smoke clears, I don’t know about y’all, but I’m not really expecting much of a change. I can see the possibility of Splitter coming over which will be great! Whew! I would also like to see what Richards can do during the summer league. If he does well, perhaps the F/O would have a change of heart about him & want to sign him on the team. We can really use his size and ability, too, but I’m sure it’s to the Torros you gowo! But I’m sure with the signing of Spitter, after that, the $ will be funny, which means that it may become an issue. No more Bogans; no more Bonner; no more Mason! Ian may be a no more, too! But once again, don’t be suprised by what the F/O will do. I guess I’m just trying to let myself down easy as a fan. So fans, enjoy the next few days, they will be exciting! And thanks again Jim. Thanks Spurs fans for your passion for this team, & GO SPURS GO!!!

Sam
    June 29th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

“we are not getting gerald wallace or danny granger. we are all just fantasizing.”

Charles
    June 28th, 2010 at 4:31 am

We’re not going to give up Parker for 2 mid-to-late 1st round picks. No way.

Ian
    June 30th, 2010 at 3:04 am

“Charlotte don’t need to clear cap spaces, at least not by trading Gerald Wallace. He’s probably better than the most of FAs in 2011 so it doesn’t make any sense to dump his salary.”

But you’re getting TONY PARKER for him! Don’t you realize that Charlotte is done, with or without Wallace, without a top 8 PG?! The cap/space issue is just augmented by having Wallace in the deal. It’s not the principal reason why they put Wallace in the deal. No, that reason is Tony Parker, clear & simple.

“Charlotte do need a PG if they don’t intend to re-sign Felton….”

Felton? You think Felton’s enough at point guard for them to challenge in the East?! Really?!

“……but TP is not a good option for that. He’ll likely leave when his contract expires (hard to imagine TP staying with a borderline playoff contender like the Bobcats), and the Bobcats will be left with no PG.”

I just got through telling you that the Bobcats will have tremendous cap space in 2011 to quickly build a talented nucleus to accompany TP, Steven Jackson, Chandler, Ty Thomas, etc. They should have enough cap space to sign THREE top FA’s in 2011 (and I listed for you the options). Along with a nice contract, that’s not going to be enough to entice TP to stick around ……with a team that would clearly be a threat to the top tier in the East? You’re making a big assumption there, in my view.

“……but Diop is useless and way overpaid.”

Number one, Diop is not worthless. Overpaid, yes, but how do you think we get Charlotte to give up Wallace in this deal?! That’s one of the ways.

td4life
    June 27th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

“I believe Sacramento would rather have one year of Dalembert and Green than one year of RJ and Hairston…..Dalembert can push the development of their other bigs….”

As I said, RJ’s contract gives them an extra three million to make sure they can sign all their key young guys: Evans, Thompson, Casspi, & Landry. That is VERY important.

As far as using Dalembert as a one-year “renta-player-coach” for their bigs? Yeah, I suppose that “could” be useful, but couldn’t RJ’s experience rub off on Casspi as well? And the Kings do have Thompson — two years of significant playing time in his first two years. He’s their starting center, and has been very productive. He could be a good mentor for Whiteside, and Cousins as well.

Bottom line: I don’t think the one-year player-coach idea should outweigh the risk of not signing all four of those players next year. It’s important for them to not let their cap get out of control. They’re not the Lakers.

• J

should the spurs try to pick up Ryan Gomes as a free agent to backup RJ at SF?

• Sam

Jim
    “You can say that all you want, but explain to me why the trade proposals that I presented with Indiana & Charlotte are so “fanciful”? Those are legitimate trade proposals, and make us a better team. And by the way, don’t make the assumption that all multi-player trades/acquisitions take YEARS to effectively assimilate (they rarely work out poorly like last years moves did). Look at what Boston did in 2007-2008: they added several players: Garnett, Allen, Posey, G. Davis, P.J. Brown, and gave up several players: A. Jefferson, Delonte West, W. Szerzebiak, R. Gomes, among others, and still won the championship in their very first year. Our problems last year go WAY beyond assimilation issues.”

I wrote it wrong they are legit trade proposals but gerald wallace is the face of the bobcats so i dont think we can trade for him. Danny Granger is possible but we would need to make a big trade that would mess up chemistry. Sorry for the bad wording.

Oh yea guys I got some good news. RJ opted out of his contract.

• Ian

@Jim Henderson – On what basis do you say “Charlotte is done without a top 8 PG”? Wallace is their best perimeter defender, best rebounder, and a better fit next to Stephen Jackson who’s a ball-dominant player. They will screw themselves by trading such player for a ball dominant guard like Tony.

“RJ’s contract gives them an extra three million to make sure they can sign all their key young guys”
    Of those guys you mentioned, only Landry needs a re-signing and I think Sacremento holds his bird rights so the cap space doesn’t really matter. RJ’s contract only adds 2-3 mil more to their current salary so I don’t know how his contract will help them – it will only restrict their ability to sign FAs rather than helping it. Even if they don’t intend to bring players via free agency, having more cap space always helps (a la OKC).
    Having said that though, I think Dalembert is not a positive influence on Cousins or Whiteside, and the Kings would be doing themselves a favour by getting rid of him. From all I’ve heard/read about him, he’s a headcase himself with bad attitude problems.

• Ian

@Sam – wow… so he did really opt out. Good riddance but this may have just killed any hope of winning championship next season.
    Thanks RJ! You were nothing but pain in the ass for the SA franchise!

Sam
    June 30th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

“Danny Granger is possible but we would need to make a big trade that would mess up chemistry.”

That’s a big assumption, that a big trade would mess up our chemistry (I’m sure Boston was glad you weren’t making their personnel decisions back in 2007). And if we’re going to operate on that assumption, let’s hope TP doesn’t leave through free agency next year, otherwise we’re going to be consigned to a year or more of “chemistry” problems. Now, that’s NOT a proactive approach, and it is certainly not working to grab control over one’s own destiny. Instead, operating under such an assumption is in fact an act of passively accepting the status quo ….. for as long as we can possibly encourage it, with little to no change. And maintaining such a philosophy, without even taking into account the circumstances, is doomed to fail over the long run

Ian
    June 30th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

“On what basis do you say “Charlotte is done without a top 8 PG”? Wallace is their best perimeter defender, best rebounder, and a better fit next to Stephen Jackson who’s a ball-dominant player. They will screw themselves by trading such player for a ball dominant guard like Tony.”

The point guard is a very important position for most teams, particularly for those teams that don’t have a superstar at another position, or at least a few players with significant play-off experience, and demonstrated leadership (none of which the Bobcats have). The Bobcats have had a mediocre point guard for years, with Wallace in attendance, and look where it’s gotten them: a low seed, one & done exit, in a weak Eastern Conference. TP & Jackson are both “game”-type players that will do whatever it takes for a team to WIN, and that’s just what they would do together in Charlotte. Besides, perhaps you forget that Parker & Jackson were our starting back court in 2003 when we won the title. I’d say they did fine together then, and there’s no reason they couldn’t do fine together in 2010.

“RJ’s contract only adds 2-3 mil more to their current salary so I don’t know how his contract will help them..”

As I’ve already stated, in addition to RJ’s contract, we’d also be absorbing an additional year on Diop’s contract of 6 million in 2011, as well as another 9.5 million on Wallace’s. The point is, Charlotte would be setting themselves up for MAJOR cap space in 2011 with this move (similar to what NJ, NY, Chicago, & Miami are doing now).

“…….Dalembert is not a positive influence …….. from all I’ve heard/read about him, he’s a headcase himself with bad attitude problems.”

Cite your sources, or nobody can possibly take this information seriously.

“…..Thanks RJ! …….Good riddance but this may have just killed any hope of winning championship next season.”

We would have virtually no shot at winning a championship next year even if RJ stayed.

• Ian

@Jim Henderson – I was talking about RJ to Sacramento scenario, but with RJ opting out, there’s no point in discussing the matter any further. Still, saying that RJ’s extra 3 mil allows signing of young players in Sacramento doesn’t make any sense at all. Maybe you confused their salary situation with some other team?

As for Bobcats and its players: Felton isn’t a mediocre player. Not a great one, but he isn’t that bad either. Blaming him for the franchise’s dismal records is rather short-sighted, because this franchise is still a very young franchise with not a lot of opportunity to load up on talents (and picking a guy like Morrison with #3 overall doesn’t help the cause).

I can’t recall the exact source criticizing Dalembert’s attitude (I’ve read the article after he was traded – either ESPN or Yahoo: search through their archive if you’re interested), but it said that whenever there was an opportunity, Dalembert would miss practice and didn’t seem all that passionate about playing basketball. Sounds pretty much like a guy with poor work ethics, if you ask me.

• Ian

Found the link:

“”The guy did not like basketball. He showed up late, didn’t work on improving his game, and took every opportunity to stay away from the practice court,” the Inquirer opines.”

That’s the quote I was referring to.

Ian
    June 30th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

“Still, saying that RJ’s extra 3 mil allows signing of young players in Sacramento doesn’t make any sense at all. Maybe you confused their salary situation with some other team?”

Of course it does. You know how much it’s going to cost them to resign Evans?! Dalembert’s expiring deal will only put the Kings about 4-5 million under the cap. Evans new contract alone will take that up, perhaps more, let alone resigning Casspi, Thompson, Landry, and Donte Greene, if they decide to resign him. You have to understand, Sacramento is not a BIG market team. Their owners are not going to want to get anywhere near luxury tax territory. And if things go as planned, Cousins is going to get a HUGE extension in a few years. If a large expiring deal is not what Sacramento wanted, then why did they do the deal with Dalembert? Center is not a weak spot for them, so what else would be the point of getting Dalembert other than for taking on a large expiring deal? And if that’s the strategy, RJ’s is (was) simply a larger expiring contract.

“Felton isn’t a mediocre player. Not a great one, but he isn’t that bad either.”

Mediocre is not “bad”. It’s mediocre, and that’s what he is compared to all the other starting point guards around the league. And that will simply not be enough for Charlotte to win anytime soon. And it’s not about blaming Felton; it’s just a reality.

“I can’t recall the exact source criticizing Dalembert’s attitude….”

Again, if you’re wanting to make a valid point about this, YOU need to cite a source. Otherwise, it should be treated as it is — just conjecture, and so the point is pretty much meaningless.

Ian
    June 30th, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Okay, thanks for the link about Dalembert. That said, I’m not sure I buy the reporters take on the matter. She did not cite one source for how she actually came to the conclusions she came to. Now, overpaid is one thing, for which I concur. But just offering a disdainful “opinion” about his attitude, and that no team could really “win” with him, without any evidence is not something I’m going to jump in & buy with open arms. How did she learn about Dalembert? Simply by watching him play in the Sixer games? Did she go to their practices? Did she interview people associated with the Sixers? If she did, she should have cited sources, even anonymous sources would be better than nothing! Now, that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t put any credence in this source. It is the Philly Inquirer, a fairly reputable paper. But the reporter was just lazy, and that just makes me a bit suspect. And by the way, this story was listed under the “rumor” section at Yahoo Sports. Got to be a little careful there.

Again though, thanks for the link. It’s better than having nothing to go on at all.

• Pingback: NBA Summer League | Spurs, Gee, Hairston, Temple and Blair | 48 Minutes of Hell